We are about to embark on a rant for the ages. I apologize ahead of time because this is going to hurt some of you. I promise, it is for your own good. Last week someone talked my ear off about coconut water and all its benefits and how ionized water is better than some other water. Honestly, I lost interest. Someone else a couple days ago wanted to engage in a conversation about the efficacy of doing shoulder presses in the gym. Just today one of my students was talking about how many sit-ups one needs to do to burn a lot of fat.
MY EYES ARE GLAZING OVER
I want to save you all a lot of time and energy with guru knowledge and pointless chatter. First off, if you are arguing the difference between ionized water and coconut water you are lost my friends. I was there too. Don’t be too offended. Sometimes we let our ego get in the way of actually doing work. Trainers always want to be the guy/girl with the most knowledge and then we think that knowledge makes us better than everyone. This phenomena extends past the gym and to you guys too. I hear it all the time in public or even with friends.
“P90X is the best because there is multi-joint exercises that challenge the type 2 muscles.”
“Insanity is so great because it utilizes muscle confusion and keeps your body guessing”
“Weight training makes you bulky, body weight is the way to go”
The problem with all this talk about how to keep your body guessing and what is the better, the push-up or the bench press is that people are so busy being the “expert” they forget to actually do the stuff.
I will say something that will make most coaches and trainers shriek: The science doesn’t really matter.
It doesn’t matter whether or not you should do intermittent fasting or lift weights. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t committed to getting better and doing the work. You can cut 500 calories out of your diet and run in a circle for an hour and lose weight. It isn’t rocket science people! The thing that does matter is how committed you are. The rest is just icing on the cake. Here is a tale of 3 real students I had over the years.
1. This guy lost about 50lbs before he even came in. He was dedicated and did it all through nutrition and he said flat out: ” I am a changed man and I need guidance now.” We went on to completely transform him and he still comes in today.
2. A person came in and lost 70lbs. Most committed person I have seen (at least up there in the top 10). One day I don’t see her and I can’t tell you how she is doing now.
3. This person came in and stayed for a long time. NEVER lost any real fat. They just couldn’t put the food down.
All the guru knowledge and fitness journals can’t save you. All the books and new crazy workouts won’t save you. If you don’t change in your head, you won’t change in your body. It is a fact. Even if you do a crash diet and train your ass off and lose a ton of weight, if you don’t change mentally you will gain it all back. Person number 1 changed mentally. He was ready to crush life. Are you?
My expertise doesn’t lie in the latest Precision Nutrition certification or how many kilocalories are burned on every rep of the deadlift. My expertise lies in the fact that I am impervious to bullshit.
Below are the keys to the kingdom. I am giving away the secrets of TFW Ropestone’s success. Ready?
If you don’t perform, I will call you out. If you don’t do the work, I will call you out. It is that simple.
ACCESS — ACCOUNTABILITY— ASSOCIATION
What does that mean? If you want to get results then this is what you need to do:
1. Find a gym that you like. There is so much debate over Crossfit, bootcamps, personal training. I DON’T GIVE A HOOT. I have nothing against any of it. I just want you to find a place you resonate with because that is how you will get things done. Just be sure they know what they are talking about.
2. You need to be held accountable. Some people need different levels of accountability but someone to hold you to your word: DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU’RE GOING TO DO
3. Work with a team. We call it a familia at TFW. Who is your team???